The National Spinal Injury Hospital (NSIRH) was founded by the Cheshire family to accommodate, rehabilitate and resettle injured World War II soldiers who returned from the Second World War with spinal cord injuries in 1944. After independence the Government took it over. The 32-bed capacity hospital has about 200 patients on its waiting list. Most of the patients are road crash victims. Six out of every 10 patients at the National Spinal Injury Referral Hospital are road crash victims. Those injured in road traffic crashes suffer long term disabilities.
SWRW members built and donated a gazebo that functions as a rest area that patients will use after physiotherapy treatment. The gazebo also provides a pleasant setting for them to receive visitors. During the same occasion National Transport and Safety Authority donated wheel chairs and TV sets.